All Salesforce editions have a field on the Account page called “Parent Account” that can be used to link child accounts to their parents. This functionality has some benefits and limitations that you should be aware of so we thought we would list a few of the major ones for you.
- Easy linking of child accounts to Salesforce Parent Accounts
- Built in functionality. No customization needed
- Supported in standard account reports in Salesforce
- Supported in list views and criteria
- Quick access to the hierarchy from the “View Hierarchy” link next to the Account Name
- Can be used in workflow rules, validation rules, and formulas
- Salesforce Parent Accounts are not supported for Person Accounts
- The “View Hierarchy” page only displays up to 500 child accounts
- A Custom Report Type will be needed to report on hierarchies more than one level deep
- The “View Hierarchy” page is not editable
- It is a strict One Parent to Multiple Children relationship
Depending on your requirements, the Salesforce Parent Account feature in Salesforce may meet your needs right out of the box. If not, you do have options such as a custom linking object or the AppExchange. If you do a search on the AppExchange for “Account Hierarchy”, you will find that there are many apps out there that can give you increased functionality when dealing with your account hierarchy needs.
StarrForce is a Salesforce Partner that helps companies deploy, simplify and support Salesforce.com. For information on the services we offer call us at (888) 391-4493 Ext. 101.