Using best practices when organizing Salesforce page layouts will make it easier for your users to find the information they need and will increase user adoption.
These are some simple things that you can do that might solve a nagging Salesforce page layout problem and can make a big difference to your users:
Organize Your Salesforce Page Layouts
- Keep the most used fields closer to the top to eliminate scrolling by your users.
- Use sections (and make them visible on the detail page) and group similar fields in them so users can find the fields quickly.
- Instruct your users on how to collapse and expand page sections to keep their pages clean.
- Place similar fields in the same general location across all objects for continuity.
Salesforce Page Layout Tips
- Use the “Page Layout Assignment” button (for EE and above) to easily see which layouts are used by each profile and (optionally) record type.
- When you need to edit multiple page layouts for the same object, use the “Quick Save” and “Layout Switcher” to change between layouts.
- Use the “Preview As” button to see how the page will look for your different profiles.
The Salesforce Mini-Page Layout
- Use the Salesforce Mini-Page layout for the Console, Hover Details, and Event Overlays.
- Keep the field selection to a minimum to available to avoid scrolling.
Salesforce Page layouts that are well designed with your users concerns in mind can help with user satisfaction and user adoption. If you have a lot of page layouts just focus on one every couple of days, or one a week. Just be sure to optimize all of them!
Do these tips help you with a Salesforce page layout problem? Let us know what you think! Leave your questions or comments below.