Salesforce is a powerful tool. Configured correctly, it has the potential to help a company increase sales, close deals faster, and operate more efficiently.
Administering and customizing Salesforce can sometimes be a challenge. Common mistakes can increase costs, slow down work, and create user dissatisfaction.
A new Salesforce Administrator will learn the pitfalls and become more efficient over time. But this learning curve and associated costs can be reduced with expert guidance.
Common mistakes made by inexperienced administrators include:
- Making configuration changes in the live production environment instead of a sandbox
- Not performing thorough testing to cover routine and infrequent processing needs
- Making customizations scalable which will continue work as the user base grows
- Building out inadequate security models (Profiles, sharing rules, Roles and hierarchies)
- Not keeping up with new and retired functionality
- Not mastering the capabilities of reporting
- Not documenting changes made to the system
More specifically, mistakes encountered on a day to day basis include:
- Not verifying configuration changes work with different Profiles (test while logged in as users with different profiles)
- Ensuring automations (Processes and Flows) don’t interfere with Validation Rules
- Overwriting existing Users instead of deactivating and creating new users
- Not performing routine audits to remove unused fields and
- Not keeping page layouts clean and focused for target users
- Not leveraging Permission Sets to better control user permissions
- Not managing data storage usage effectively to minimize costs
StarrData can help avoid the costs associated with these mistakes. Having an experienced administrator resource available means getting it right the first time, and can provide a new administrator the insights to become an expert much quicker.