Which Edition of Salesforce Should I Get?
You’d like to get the edition that best meets your needs without buying more than you need.
You’re looking for the proper balance between price and requirements.
Want a simple explanation of which Salesforce Edition to get? Here you go:
Why purchase Salesforce Professional Edition rather than Salesforce Group Edition?
Salesforce Professional Edition does everything Group Edition does plus:
1. Can support more than 10 users
2. Offers mass email ability
3. Supports customizable dashboards
4. Has better support for AppExchange apps
5. Supports role hierarchy/sharing model (translation: in Group Edition there is no security among users, everyone sees all records)
6. Supports products, marketing campaigns, and offline edition
7. Supports the Mobile client
So if you don’t need one or more of these additional capabilities you’ll be fine with Group Edition.
If you haven’t already tried Salesforce you can get a free trial by clicking here.
Why purchase Salesforce Enterprise Edition rather than Salesforce Professional Edition?
Salesforce Enterprise Edition does everything Professional Edition plus has:
1. Profiles (the ability to support multiple departments)
2. API integration
3. Partner Portal support
4. Custom workflow, including assignment rules and auto escalation rules
5. Team selling
6. Record types
7. Customer portal support
8. APEX code
So if you don’t need one or more of these additional capabilities you’ll be fine with Professional Edition.
Note that its easy to upgrade your edition of Salesforce but not to downgrade:
1. Salesforce will allow you to upgrade your license type at any time.
2. But you can only downgrade a license type when your contract expires.
Want to know more about Salesforce Editions and licensing? Check out our blog post on Salesforce license types.